2015 has been a complicated year for us. Though Ocho was born in 2014 and my mom also died in 2014 it seems like 2015 has really been the year of change.
- We've moved out of our first home, and still not into our new one.
The home that made us a family. The place we brought home our two baby girls and enjoyed all the things that being a family had to offer. Where I discovered my love (and modicum of talent) for designing and decorating, and EG learned to walk, run and jump. Where Ocho had her first night of sleep, and the last place my Mother saw my whole family together...
- We both changed jobs, me twice and Working Dad once.
I left my job at UCLA formally in April, and became a Searching-For-Work mom. Then I decided to become a freelancer, taking contract positions as they've come to me. Working Dad left the job he got after his brief spell of unemployment. He's started at the new company and is loving it.
- We've dealt with huge family upsets and changes, from my Dad and cousins, to his brother. Both positive and negative... (here's one of the great moments!)
- EG went from being a toddler to being a full fledged preschooler. My adorable little girl, growing up so quickly.
- And Susanna from a baby to a toddler... What a wonderful child she is becoming.
- We moved our entire family into two different temporary homes.
We moved in initially with my Dad, but then found space with Working Dad's Grandfather. It's been wonderful to live with him, and we're blessed that we've been so so so welcome here. Nothing beats sharing a Popsicle with your Great-Grandfather. He even does babysitting duty!
- We moved our lovely cat into two different temporary homes. (on another note, anyone looking for a lovely, sweet cat?)
- We took our first whole family vacation- internationally to Mexico with Club Med.
- We had my Sister-in-Law for dinner for the first time. See above about moving the cat out of the house, hence her able to visit!
- We lost my cousin, one of the most amazing people I know, Brett Tashman.
He fought for 5 years to be better, and fought hard. We spent many days at the hospital with him before he passed, and confirmed the love we've had for these forever friends. His death was a resounding blow to our whole world.
2015 was a complicated and wonderful year. I'm glad it's over, and am hopeful for the future. Despite my mother's passing being in 2014, it seemed like so much of 2015 was living the first of many things without her. I know that much of 2016 will feel like the world without Brett, but I'm hopeful that maybe the pain of their loss will be able to slowly dissipate.
Becoming a family of four has included a lot of growing pains, and I'm especially glad that those are finished. We've melded and blended together in 2015. We've created the Millers, family of four. We've accomplished a lot, and had a LOT of challenges. But we've faced them all.
Here's to 2016.... ready or not, here it comes.