Monday, April 27, 2015

Moving- harder than I think it is

I've always said that I love moving.  And I still do... sort of.  I just didn't realize how much harder it becomes when you have two children and an entire house to move with you.

When I tell most people that I love to move they look at me like I'm crazy.  Ask anyone about moving and the first thing they say is that they hate it.  I've always been a moving fan.

1.  I love going somewhere new.  This is why I'm so into traveling.  I love exploring new places, and really getting to know a new place.  Moving is the best kind, because you are invested in your new location, and get to leave all the annoyances of the last place for new ones.  Yes, there will be new annoyances, but hey, new is good, right?

2. You trash a LOT of crap.  I'm one of those people who believes that the less stuff you have the less stuff you have to take care of and maintain.  However, that's really hard to do, especially with two kids and a husband who has emotional attachments to objects.  So moving can really put it into focus- do we really need to move this item that we forgot existed for 5 years?  Do we need it enough to move it into my Dad's house?  And if not, then do we need it at all?

3. Re-inventing yourself.  I'm experiencing a 'category shift' during this move.  When I arrive in our new place I will no longer be a working mom- I will be a stay at home mom (at least for right now). So that means that I get to present myself in a new way.  No one will know me, there will be no preconceived notions.  I and my children start fresh....

4. Organization.  I can't wait to re-organize my kitchen.  I can't wait to organize the toys.  When we just had EG I had toy rotation going strong.  But then with Ocho we totally lost it.  So I can't wait to get that back into play.  A place for everything, and everything in it's place.

Of course, I'm also experiencing the downsides of moving.  Leaving our friends is hard, for the kiddos and me.

And, like I said, it's a lot harder when you are dealing with four people rather than one or two.  Additionally the stress of selling a home is rather unique.  Getting it ready to show, keeping it clean with so many kiddos, especially when we are down in the OC with Working Dad.

Have you sold a home?  Have you moved with Kiddos?  Thoughts and tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...