Sunday, January 3, 2016

5 Tips to Get to the Gym

Since it's January, it's officially get back inside the gym month in America.  Are you one of the 15% of people who have vowed to add going to the gym to your resolutions?  Called 'resolutionaires" 25 percent is the typical increase in usage during the month of January.  Which also corresponds to the additional  About 15 percent of people who make New Year's resolutions vow to get fit, WebMD reports.  "Usage can increase by 25 percent during January," Lisa Hufcut, director of public relations of New York Sports Clubs, told The Huffington Post.

1. Buy cute clothes!  When you look your best you also feel your best.  It's hard to want to get up and go to the gym when you are feeling like you look terrible and hate everything you put on.  Reward yourself for getting started by buying something that you like, look good in, and helps you find some joy in the process of getting there.


My personal favorite is Old Navy.  They are good clothes, good prices and a wide variety for different activities.  I know it seems ridiculous, but do pay a bit of atention to the different styles of gear.  The last thing you want is to be in a pair of yoga pants on a cycle bike... Trust me...

2. Get good shower products.  This sort of follows along the first line, but I think it's even more critical.  There's nothing more rewarding than completing that run on the treadmill or that workout you had in mind than getting into the shower and putting that wonderful conditioner in your hair.  For me my two splurges are LUSH products and Bumble and Bumble.  When I step into that shower (yes, the grimy one that everyone else uses) I get to turn it into my own personal spa retreat.  Now is a great time to stock up on LUSH since they are having their annual BOGO sale.

3. Get the class times on your schedule.  Sometimes you don't want to just run on the treadmill.  Sometimes you don't have the time to make a plan for yourself at the gym.  And sometimes you really want to put anything else in front of going to the gym.  Take a proactive step on all of these problems by putting classes on your schedule.  I'm not going to lie to you- January is probably one of the WORST time to try out a new class.  They will be crowded and packed with all sorts of people who are starting off on their resolutions.  But sometimes that can be good.  It means that the teachers are ready for newbies- it means more explanations, rather than watching 30 people get tons of equipment while you have no idea what's going on.  Don't be afraid, JUMP IN!

4. Don't skimp on shoes and socks. I know we've discussed gym gear earlier, but I think it's even more important to talk specifically about shoes and socks.  Your workout shoes might be one of the most expensive pairs you buy.  And it's critical to buy the right pair of shoes for the right workout.  Running on trails is totally diffferent than cross training or doing the treadmill.  When you have the wrong shoe you could end up with food injuries that might hamper your path to a fun workout.  And for a moment, let's talk about socks.  There's a reason why Coach Wooden always started there.  Nothing is more annoying than being all ready to go, but no socks to find or wear.  Seriously!

5. Get the kids enrolled in the Childcare.  Need I say more here.  Okay, maybe I'm the only one who uses the gym because it means that there are two hours of time that my children are otherwise occupied and I get to shower alone.  But it's a great way for them to stay social, do some crafts (our gym does one almost every time they go!) and get a bit of time to explore the world themselves.  And for me, sitting in the hottub at the end of a workout- I get to be a better mom.  With some time apart I'm ready for the hours before nap and after dinner.

If all these suggestions aren't ringing your bell, or don't have quite enough for you, try the PACTapp.  I've never used it myself, but the concept seems fairly simple.  Just like work- do it and get paid, don't and forfiet the cash.  Might be just the extra motivation you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...