Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Trying to get to normal...

So this week we made some Challah, just like I said I would with the Challah Challenge.  It was nice to do something regular- something with a definitive result.

 

This was the recipe I used this week, again, something I had in the house.  This book was a gift from my sister a few years back.  I love how versatile it is, and how it has crafts and things for the kiddos.  It's a great book to have around, although if I'm honest, this Challah isn't my winner.

Jewish Holiday Treats
'Round-and-round challah'

2 pks yeast
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups warm milk
1 Tb salt
5 large eggs beaten
1/2 cup oil
7 cups flour
1 egg, for egg wash

Dissolve yeast in warm milk with 1 tbl sugar.  Stir in remaining sugar, salt, eggs, and oil.  Stirl in flour 1 cup at a time until smooth, not sticky.  Turn out and knead.  Put in oil coated bowl to rise until double (30-60 minutes)

Turn out and divide in half.  Roll out three ropes, and braid.  Cover with towel and let rise 30 minutes (this recipe is for Rosh Hashana, so it goes into instructions on making it round, so I'm skipping that part).

Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.

When I made our Challah this week, I had a few helpers.  EG and her friend came by the house.  The girls loved to dump in the flour- I used a half cup measuring cup so it would last even longer.  Then stirring was a big exciting event too!

I hope that EG has these memories.  My mom never did much baking, while she had a definite knack for cooking.  Cooking with my mom was one of my greatest memories.  She would always make sure we knew her techniques, and when I was home in high school alone when my sister went to college it was lots of fun in the kitchen, since I could always make whatever I wanted to.

I remember once she had someone over the house when I got home from school.  I went straight to the kitchen and checked on the onions she had on the stove.  She told me later that the friend she was with was so impressed that I would just jump in like that, and how wonderful it was that we were competent in the kitchen.

I can definitely say we are.  My sister even tackled Thanksgiving for the first time a few years ago, and I can't wait to go up north for her repeat performance!
 

It's interesting how difficult it's been.  Some days are just 'fine' and others are really terrible.  But no matter what the day, Challah always helps....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...