Monday, April 23, 2018

PJ Library- Your Turn

Do you and your family already receive PJ Library books?


I sure hope you do!  This amazing program brings Jewish stories right to your door for free.  It starts when your kids are 6months old and continues until they turn 8.  Then PJ Our Way starts and kids can choose the books they want until they are no longer a Jewish child- aka age 13.

We've been devoted fans of this project for years.  First while we lived in the South Bay, and again when we moved here to Orange County.  The PJ Library program is run through the Jewish Federation and Family Services in Irvine.

But I'm not really here to talk to you about PJ Library. I'm here to talk to you about PJ Parents.

Yup- it's our turn again!

In addition to sending books to our kiddos PJ Library also lets parents make a choice on a book selection for ourselves as well.  They've announced this year's selections:

My Jewish Year- one woman's journey celebrating all the holidays in a year.

Mamaleh Knows Best- witty parenting advice about raising resilient children Jewishly.

If All the Seas Were Ink- Seven years of daily Talmud and the impact it has on life.

My Russian Grandmother and her American Vaccum Cleaner- A family memoir about grandparents and the first generation of Israeli Jews

Jewish Holidays Cookbook- Recipes to make together as we spin through the Jewish year.

Once again they've created a wonderful selection, many titles I've never heard of before for us parents to engage and learn and create.  This year's selections seem to be very 'memoir' focused, with two of the books also being memoirs, and a third being about one person's journey celebrating all the holidays in a Jewish year.

Never-the-less I'm excited to make my choice.  Of course, I'm wavering between learning more Talmud, and more parenting skills.  In the end, I'll probably go with the parenting one, because reading about someone else studying Talmud when I want to be studying it myself seems a little lame....

Which one will you choose?  Let me know below, then we'll come back to discuss later :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...