Wednesday, April 11, 2018

The Parent Shift: We can always learn

While we are counting the Omer (how's that going?  It's only day 12 tonight, still lots of time to join in!) I thought I would share a wonderful resource that I happened upon.

Each day as parents we find our way through a million different moments.  Wake-up, breakfast, story, shoes, dishes, birds in the kitchen (No? Only me?), and the list goes on.  While we do our best to engage thoughtfully and fully in each moment there is only so much time in the day.  And only so much focus.

There are thousands of parenting books.  Thousands of philosophies.  Millions of blogs and podcasts.

So when I heard about The Parent Shift, I wasn't sure what to do.  Did I need another email in my inbox?  Would any of this make any difference to me or my children?  But when I heard DiAna's introductory YouTube video I could tell that this was going to be different. 

She's right, no one sends you home with a manual for your kids.  As the mother of three little ones, I know I've learned something from each of them.  And I'm thankful that I have. 

But have I lost my over-reaching view?  Do I still have hopes and dreams and a plan to help them become the adults I want to be?  We want them to be?

DiAna has gathered parenting experts from around the country (and the world) to help us learn their secrets.  And she makes it SO EASY!


It's a quick 30 minute conversation she has with each expert.  Honestly, sometimes it's a bit hard. She clearly had these over the phone with the recording equipment on her side, but I try not to let that bother me.  Each conversation has a tid-bit.  A moment that she helps us see that can help 'shift' our views.  My favorite so far is the three R's: Resilience, Respect and Responsibility. 

All the conversations center on the idea of Resilience- that we want our kids to be able to take the bad times in life (which we know are inevitable) and move forward.  Bounce back and keep moving.  And who dosen't want that for their children? 

Because the truth is- we're raising adults, not children.

*No, I'm not getting anything from DiAna except great advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...