Friday, January 23, 2015

A culture of Truth

I've reached a point in my life where I am sick of the limitations of social etiquette.  I've become exhausted of people 'saving face' by not telling the truth.

Has this happened to you?  It feels like it happens to me almost daily.  Let's see, this week alone I didn't tell at least 5 people the truth about what I thought or felt about the situation. And we're not talking about distant friends, or inconsequential acquaintances.  We're talking about immediate family, close relatives, what are supposed to be 'best friends.'

We went and saw the last Hobbit movie this week, and there's a moment in the movie when Bilbo Baggins tells Thorin Oakenshield that he's being an idiot.  That he's taken the most important thing to Thorin and given it away to someone else.  Because Thorin was going back on his word. 

It seems like everyone's 'word' is becoming less and less valuable.  That we've reached a point in the world where the truth, and honor and commitment aren't very valuable.

When you go to a therapist to seek the truth because those closest to you no longer tell it to you straight.  When they sit by and watch you make horrible mistakes, disregard others emotions and feelings, and just plain do dumb things.  Rather than stand-up, say what's uncomfortable and lay it all out on the table.

I wish I could just spill the beans right here.  Tell all those people the truths' I didn't say. 

Do you tell the truth, or do you skate by on politeness? 

Maybe, if we committed ourselves to being open and honest it would mean a lot more when we say we care.  When we share our 'I Love You's.'  When we realize how much it means to us to be moving in the right direction.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...