Sunday, January 11, 2015

Confessions:

This past Friday we attended the Jeans and Jammies event at Congregation Ner Tamid.  It's a great event, and I'll write a little more about Ner Tamid and my impressions later this week.  Right now I want to make a few confessions...

1. I had no idea some Jews died in France.  Yup, no idea about who Charlie was, what happened to him, let alone that Charlie wasn't really a him at all.  I'm so intensely disconnected from the wider world and the news that I had no idea what happened.  I'm horrified by it, but even after learning about it, I have to admit my disconnection.  I've never been one to feel to deeply about world wide hurt.  It definitely didn't entice me to eat my dinner to imagine starving children in africa....

2.  I used my phone in Temple during the Rabbi's sermon.  Yup.  I pulled it out, and googled france, charlie, death, and Jews.  He kept talking about what our response should be, and how we need to understand, and how sad it was that everyone is talking about Charlie, but a few years ago more terrorist acts happened and the world paid little notice.  I felt like I needed to be in the know, so I googled it.  During services.

I'm sort of appalled at myself for my lack of awareness, that I can't help but be so self-centered, or at least LA/CA/USA centered. That these major events didn't even register on my radar.  Even more than that, I'm also amazed at how quickly my phone has become a major fixture in my life.

Not to long away we had some guests over for dinner. I was amazed that it seemed that when they weren't interacting with their children, they were interacting with their phones.  I'm always so disappointed when my friends ignore the world in favor of the digital.  And there I was, in the house of G-d no less, on Shabbat, clicking away.  Not exactly the spirit of the Torah is it.

One step at a time, right...

Any confessions you want to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...