Monday, March 24, 2014

Jewishly Engaged

I read this article on Tablet this week and it really resonates with me.  More than anything I can't help but think that all families end up being associated with something.  For some it's a religion, but for others it's boy scouts (my husbands family), Dance (yeah Dance Moms!), Sports (some cousins) or travel (maybe that's us!?)...

When I married my husband we knew we would have a Jewish family.  But at the same time, my husband isn't technically Jewish.  I should probably put a 'yet' on the end of that sentence, but for me, it doesn't make any difference if it's a yet or a 'and never will be.'  His commitment to raising our family Jewish is what counts, and we show that each and every Friday we light the candles, the holidays when we have guests over, and how we interact with the world and G-d.

At the same time, when we got married Working Dad stated that he didn't want us to have our entire world arranged around a religious life.  His sister is fairly like that (though, of course, she has other things going on in their lives), but it was important to him that we be focused around something else.

I'm happy to say that the majority of parents and young kids that we spend our time with are Jewish.  Which, of course, is a by-product of sending your child to a Jewish daycare- Jewish friends.  At the same time, I don't think that there are people we aren't being friends with because of our Jewish obligations.

I told Working Dad that I had no intention of being a boy scout focused family either.

As EG gets older, and starts to request time to participate in activities, I can't help but wonder what we are going to end up being.  When I was younger I was a Jewish, Soccer-playing, theatre-going Girl Scout who traveled a lot and enjoyed camping.  I went to Jewish summer camp and Girl Scout Camp.  I went to shabbatons, marching band trips and traveled to Rome.  We went to Yosemite every Thanksgiving, and I can't seem to think that there was one thing that dominated our lives...

Did something dominate your life?  Did you have a central focus for the family?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...