Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Our Omer Calendar

Last week I talked about the Omer Calendar I was going to create for our family.  A way to visually remind us and interact with this part of the year.  I promised I would share ours, so here it is:

The whole 49 days worth hanging from the fireplace.  It was really, really easy to make.  Though I did go through an entire package of sticker numbers.  I'm sure there would be a cheaper way to make them, but this was simple and took only about an hour sitting in front of the TV relaxing.  I chose to use the paper envelopes because I thought that EG would hurt them when we opened them, but we'll see if that's true.  Perhaps I'll wish I had done the more expensive burlap bags...

Close up of the numbers and the bags.  These are sort of see-through, so you can see the cards inside, and sometimes you can see the 'treats' (I'm looking at you day 11!).

Poor number 49 barely fits in front of the fireplace.  It's definitely A LOT of days, not for the feint of heart.  While it's true that I take down the bags each day, I don't know if I'm going to reposition the bags to make them look better when I'm halfway done.  I guess we'll just wait and see...

Inside each of the bags is a little card.  One side has the prayers in Hebrew, transliteration and English.  The other side has the little thought for the day, the quote of the week and the number of days we are counting for the Omer.  It's worked out quite nicely.  You can print the cards I made by clicking on this link. They've been great, but I have to admit we haven't been so good on fulfilling the tasks/thoughts of the day.  A lot of them are rather large, with something to do and it's been a bit to much for us.  Not to mention the fact that it changes everyday, so it's hard to remember what you're supposed to be doing. 

Additionally, little EG hasn't had a single chance to be engaged.  I filled some of the bags with toys/treats to keep her engaged, but based off of Passover activities and her early 7pm bedtime she hasn't been awake when we've been doing it. 

Working Dad definitely isn't into it either.  Though last night he did try to remind me, so that was nice.  At least it's a start to doing something new...

Have you tried to follow a religious tradition or idea and had it not work quite right?  Do you count the Omer?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...