Monday, September 23, 2013

Reading- yes I think it's possible

I love to read.  I love to read so much that I remember getting in trouble for reading and walking for the first time at summer camp when I was eleven years old.  I love reading so much that I am routinely walking around with my nose in a book.  Even now, crossing the street to my office.  I look upon all times as available for reading.  I'm ashamed to say that I even read while I was driving once (don't even ask me to go into what the police officer said when he pulled me over!)

But what happens to reading when we have children?

Not only do I think we can continue to read for pleasure, but once we have children I think it's our duty to read for pleasure.  Think about how often your child wants to emulate you.  What you do, how you act, what you say.  We've all seen it- for good and bad.

We all know how important it is to read to our children.  It's probably the only thing that all the parenting books agree on.  It has a significant impact on many aspects of our children's future.  But what about reading ourselves?

My personal feelings are that spending time reading ourselves shows our children that we value that activity.  That when we choose how to spend our time, we choose to read.  So when our kids are older and need to read those books from school we've already created a healthy culture of reading in our homes.

I think it's also critically important to have Jewish themed books in our home.  For both us, and our children.  A great way to get Jewish themed books (delivered for free, right to your door!) is PJ Library.  If you aren't a part of it yet, join now!

What I'm reading now:
French Twist: An American Mom's Experiment in Parisian Parenting
The Language of Flowers: A Novel
Executive Orders (Jack Ryan)
It Looked Different on the Model: Epic Tales of Impending Shame and Infamy

Yes, I'm reading all of them. I promise a book review on "French Twist." I'll also have a few more Jewishly themed parenting books coming up in the next few days.
 I have the following on hold from the library:
The Blessing Of A Skinned Knee: Using Jewish Teachings to Raise Self-Reliant Children
Teaching Your Children About God: A Modern Jewish Approach

Think I'm the only crazy reading girl, not so much.  Check out Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...