Thursday, December 26, 2013

Awkward Questions other people's kids ask

A few nights ago our neighbors asked us to watch their kids so they could go Christmas shopping.  Our neighbors are wonderful people.  They embrace EG like she's their little sister, and all the kids over there tolerate her running into their games, or bringing them their shoes for the 15th time (one of her favorite tricks!).

However, when we were watching them last night, there were a number of those awkward moments.

The first was when EG wanted a 'baba.'  Though she'd already had 18oz of milk at school (I know, wowza!) she didn't have a great dinner (served a great one, didn't eat anything but tomatoes!), and has been having some really terrible diaper rash.  So, of course, I started to heat one up for her.  One of the kids asked why EG has her milk warmed.

The answer, in my mind, to why this was, is that EG was breastfed as a baby, and since the milk comes from my body, it comes out warm.  When we switched EG to cow's milk, she wanted it to be warm, just like my milk was.  But that's not what I said.  I said that she likes her milk warm, it's easier for babies to digest, and that most babies drink warm milk.  I clarified that though EG is 18months old, she still has this habit from being a baby.  But I didn't really answer the question.

I don't know how my neighbors feel about breastfeeding.  I'm also not quite sure how they would feel about me talking about my breasts with their children... no, I don't think talking about breastfeeding is gross or sexual, but I can't speak for everyone.

Moving on through the night, we were putting EG into her bath.  I've already mentioned the bad diaper rash, which made her not want to sit in the bathtub. So, out we came, and decided to go have a shower.  She's an independent little chick, so she didn't want to get carried or wrapped up in a towel.  So out she walks, naked as the day she was born.  Another awkward moment.  No, I don't think it's inappropriate for people to see an under 18month old child naked.  But at the same time, they aren't my kids... whoops!

Then we finally get EG down for bed, and the kids are all fed.  Delightful children, they even took in their own plates and offered to help clean up.  We sit down by the couch for some Mary Poppins and one of the kids asks me when we are getting the Christmas tree.

Umm... hmmm.  They know we're a Jewish family, but I also know that there parents don't know anything about Judaism.  They may have learned something in school about it, but its definitely not something they've been exposed to.  We showed them our Menorah earlier this month, gave them some driedels, and fed them some latkes.  But that's not the same thing as entering the extremely complicated discussion around Christmas trees.

These kids believe in Santa.  They know there parents get them presents, but Santa is magical.  How come EG doesn't need a tree?  What will happen with Santa. 

So I dodge the question. I don't admit that we won't have a Christmas tree.  That even if we did have a tree, it would be a 'tree of david' not a christmas tree... le sigh...  I just say that I don't think it's going to happen this year.  That we've been busy and are traveling, etc. 

Is that a cop-out?  How do you explain to an 8 and 5 year old that you are different.  Especially when you don't know where their parents stand.

Have you had awkward moments with other people's kids recently? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...