Thursday, June 12, 2014

End of the school year gifts

EG is coming to the end of the school year at daycare.  Her school has an 'everyone' graduates policy. 

While I'm really excited about the ceremony tomorrow, I've been stressing about what to get her teachers.  These are four ladies who have been with my little since she was just over 3 months old.  They've supported her, taught her, and helped her grow.  Without them in our lives I know going back to work would have been impossible.

I've been doing some internet sleuthing, and it's got a lot of wonderful ideas about teacher gifts.  However, I don't want to give my daughters teachers a cute little thing of pencils, etc.  I want to give them something that matters, something they might actually use.

So, we're doing three things:

1. Participating in the class gift.  The class gift is two part- we've donated to the class fund, so each of the teachers will be getting some sort of monetary gift on behalf of the class.  Additionally we're doing a 'yearbook' of sorts, so I had EG work on some masterpieces:
 



She made one for each of her teachers, and I had her talk about the teacher as she was working on it.  When she was finished I wrote out the first initial of each teacher, and filled it in with some of the things that EG shared with me.  Not exactly the most sophisticated thoughts, but I hope it shows each teacher how much she appreciates them.  I signed her name, and dated each one.  Sorry for the blurry, but I think it's important to give EG a little bit of privacy...

2.  Writing each teacher a thank you note.  I love to make handmade notes, specifically I have an L Letterpress machine.  I don't do a lot of them, but when I do, I totally love it.  I had EG put her handprint on the notes, just like I've done before.  When I send these thank you notes to babysitters (usually my parents, or our family friends) everyone comments on how much they love them.  So, I knew it would work out for the teachers.


Then on the back I wrote a personal note to each teacher.  It was hard trying to put into words exactly how much I appreciate them, because each of them is invaluable to her daily school experience.  I made each note unique, and really tried to write from the heart.  Of course that means that at least one of them is a rambling mess- they always say you should 'pre-write' your thank you notes.  Oh well, at least it's heartfelt.

3. Writing a letter to the school.   One of the things that I did see online was a suggestion to write a note to the director or principal of the school, adding a note of appreciation to the school files.  So I did that too.  I think it's important to recognize how much these women have done, and how much we appreciate them.

What did you do for the end of the school year? 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...