Sunday, June 15, 2014

Happy Father's Day!



I hope that everyone is having a lovely father's day today.  While we mainly celebrated Working Dad yesterday (a wonderful afternoon at Golden Road Brewery) I definitely wanted to take some time today to talk about all the wonderful fathers' that have gone into making our family.

Let's start with my Dad-  Grandpa B:
My sister and me at my pre-wedding bonfire

My Dad is a wonderful person.  He's the kind of Dad who leaves messages on your phone telling you how wonderful, stupendous, amazing, intelligent, etc. you are.  With us two girls, he definitely did something right, since both of us are happily married with kiddos of our own.  He's always there to lend a hand, he's the first person we call if EG is sick and we need to go to work, and is always willing to come and watch her.  When I was working at USC he once drove all the way out to Pasadena to pick me up, drove me home to the OC, fed me, gave me soup, took me to the Doctor, and then drove me all the way home.  I was lucky enough to drive across country with him four different times while in college, and those experiences aren't something I would give up for the world.  (Yes, when I say across country for us that meant an RV, at least 10 days and constant contact.  Yes, I loved it!).  He's taught me so many things, I can't thank him enough!
EG's first carousel ride!  The same carousel I used to ride with my Grandpa!
As a grandpa he really shines.  He loves spending any time he can get with EG, and goes out of his way to try to make connections.  He's fun, adventurous, and definitely makes her a little spoiled.  Once when he was watching her he tripped while carrying her, and sacrificed both his knees to protect her when they fell.  He's gotten even better as she gets older, and has enjoyed her reactions and talking so much.  He's eager to take her to do things, always letting her try her hand at new experiences.  I just know that he can't wait to take her camping, fishing, and to show her all that the world has to offer.

Then there is Grandpa L-  My Father-in-Law:
Hours after EG was born...
I have to be honest, I wasn't quite sure what to make of Grandpa L for a long time.  Unlike my family, Working Dad's isn't as outwardly affectionate in words or actions.  You can't have a conversation with my family without at least 15 "I love you's" and you can't leave a room without a hug.  For Grandpa L, he shows he loves you through his deeds.  When we were getting married he made my lemon lined aisle a reality.  He went out of his way to help us get things done, and always helped everyone keep their cool.  I remember when I had just announced that I was pregnant and when we went to leave that night his hug lingered a little long, and he told me to take care of myself- I definitely knew that he loved me then.  As a father to Working Dad, he's the first person we talk to about financial advice, work details,and definitely the man WD goes to for advice.  He's got a great head on his shoulders, and has really shown my husband how to be a great husband and father.

Two littles- EG and her cousin B
As a grandpa he's spectacular.  From the moment EG was born it was all Grandpa L could do to hold her, snuggle her, and keep her warm.  He's intuitive about babies, realizing things about her crying or her emotions that we as parents didn't even grasp.  The first time I left her at their house she was sleeping in her car seat.  I left with him sitting in a chair staring at her.  45minutes later I returned, and there he was, still sitting there staring at her.  He made the bookshelves for her bedroom, and is currently working on a toddler bed for her.  As I said, he's a dooer!  I know he can't wait to show her his horses, and help her explore.

And of course, the Daddy on this blog: Working Dad
My little sleeping angels- totally twinsy's here...

And what an amazing man he is too!  As a husband he's absolutely wonderful, but as a father I've seen him grow, change and really come into his own.  As you know, we had a traumatic birth experience, which coincided with Working Dad's birthday.  He became a father through trial by fire- responsibilty thrust on his shoulders with such weight... Not only did he handle that situation, but every one since then.  He enjoys his private time with EG- taking her to the beach and the pier.  He loves giving her baths, and has even embraced the girlishness that requires hair bows.  He gets her ready for school each morning, from the frilly shirts to the sparkly shoes.  He also realizes how important his relationship is with her- why he's a key part of her life and how choices that he makes can really effect her self-esteem and self-worth as a woman.

Photo by Laura Layera (luluphoto)
Where would we be without a Daddy like him?

As we make our way from 3 to 4, I want to say how much I appreciate him.  How important he is as a pillar of our family, and how proud I am of him.  He's a wonderful man, a fantastic father, and I know that as we step into becoming parents of two kids, he'll only get better!

Happy Father's Day!

PS- EG wants to say:
Courtesy of HGTV

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...