Thursday, October 10, 2013

Emergency Contact

No, this isn't a post about ET, or other extra-terrestrials.  It's a post about the person you've put on the school form.  The one who can take your child home, or they call in case you don't answer.

Today, I became the Emergency contact for my neighbors children. I don't even have a key to their house.  I couldn't tell you if they have allergies, or what their middle names are, but as of today, I can legally remove them from school.

We are very lucky.  Not everyone is as lucky as we are.

And that's why my nextdoor neighbor contacted me today.  She asked us to be the emergency contact for her children at our local elementary school.  Of course I said yes.  I didn't even hesitate.  Everyone needs someone, and I'm glad that I can help.  And that she trusts me enough to put me down in that all-important spot.

However, there's also a lot to think about.  You know I work full-time, so thinking of leaving work for another person's kid can be a lot of time off.  I don't work right around the corner, so it's a bit of a drive before I would even get there.  And that's just one part of the consideration.

What do I need to know to be the emergency contact?  I don't even know what type of insurance her kids have.  Do they have allergies?  Should I have a key to her house?

Are you someone's emergency contact?  Who is your emergency contact?  Have you updated it recently?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...